Android Messages app 3.3
A couple of days ago, Google releases an Android Messages app 3.3. The version brings a new features, improvements and optimizations. Also, Google included a hidden feature of the new Material Design 2, redesign of Android Messages.
While, material design provides a look to the android apps. Now, Google has come up with a much-improved Material Design 2 for the Messages app. Already, some apps get Material Design 2 update, includes Google News and Google One.
The Dark Mode feature adds in the new design. The dark mode feature gives a smooth look in the dark, and currently not available in app, but it will soon make its way to the app with further updates. However, the whole Material Design 2 is not available for who updates to the latest app version.
Enable Material Design 2 on Android Messages
While, to enable the all-new Material Design 2 on Android Messages, users will need a rooted device as of now. While, if your device is already rooted then you can enable the new design.
- First, you should install MiXplorer app from XDA developers
- Next, open the app and go to the root section
- Go to the directory /data/data/com.google.android.apps.messaging/shared_prefs/
- Open file PhenotypePrefs.xml. In the popup menu open select editor and next select code editor.
- On the top right corner, tap on the three dots and select find. Then select search for bugle__phenotype_enable_m2.
- By default, the value is set to False. Set this to True.
- Then go back to Find option and search bugle_phenotype_enable_phenotype_override and set this True.
After completing the process, close the MiXplorer app and then go to Settings>Apps>Android Messages>Force Stop. Now, re-open the app you will see the Material Design 2 redesign.
Make a note that, don’t swipe the app in recent tabs, otherwise it will go backs to original design.